Spring is upon us and with that new opportunities, fresh flowers, spring colors and scents. I was thinking today that there are only a few things I will miss about winter: Christmas, clean and crisp air, and of course the food.
In honor of winters past I made a batch of chocolate rum cakes, with the warmth of rum soaked sultanas, cinnamon and cocoa. The best way to say adieu and so simple to make.
- 125 grams of self-rising flour
- 100 grams of plain all-purpose flour
- 25 grams of cocoa
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 pitch of salt
- 1 tsp of grounded cinnamon
- 175 grams sugar
- 1 egg
- 200 ml milk or buttermilk
- 75 ml of vegetable oil
- 1 tsp of rum extract
- 75 ml of rum
- 100 grams of sultanas
- Place the sultanas in a bowl and soak them with the rum for at least 30 minutes.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl lightly, for best results sift everything into the bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients and the egg to the dry ingredients and mix until everything is combined in a smooth batter.
- Add the sultanas, make sure to squeeze them so they are not too wet.
- Bake in the oven on 225 C for 25 minutes.
- Leave them to cool on a rack and sprinkle with some powdered sugar.